Monday, November 3, 2014

Top Reasons to Vote for Jeremy Peterson in 2014



If you are reading this, you are either wanting to know more about the candidates in the race for House District 9 or you are a regular recipient of my political newsletter.  If you are not receiving the newsletter, but want to, email me and I will make sure you are included.

So, in case you are wondering why I am worth re-electing, here are the top reasons for your consideration:

Transparency

That's right, you are reading this and these are my thoughts..  Politics is volatile and often times politicians find themselves contradicting their own positions or speaking in a duplicitous manner.  I have found that writing my thoughts in a public forum does two things.  First, it lets you know where I stand and why.  Secondly, it acts as a permanent reference that can be used to understand history on an issue, the changes in circumstances surrounding issues, and it can be accessed at any time by anyone.  This shared record of my thoughts and views keeps me grounded.

Active Representation

I make it a point to strongly represent our district's interests at the State Capitol.  Prior to my election, our district's voice was literally ignored in the halls of government.  However, through relationship building, strong advocacy, and a consistent voice, District 9 is now respected again and recognized as having a seat at the table.

Our district is unique in that it has rural, suburban, and urban areas.  Legislation that impacts one area may affect another in a different way.  It is a Legislator's job to reconcile the needs of his or her constituents.  The best way to do that is through open communication and dialogue with citizens in the community.  I have continuously made myself available to you to discuss concerns and I have been very effective in turning the wheels of our state government to address your needs.

Proper Motives

People often wonder what compels men and women to enter politics.  There are many reasons. Some are good; others are less desirable, perhaps.  For me, it is a passion for serving the community and helping to improve the lives and circumstances of our people.  Our family has done some bold and risky things in an effort to help our neighborhood.  Fortunately, the efforts have made a difference.  Our life experience has been an excellent training ground for me in serving at the State Capitol and I have learned many valuable lessons that have helped me to better address the needs of our diverse district.

The Record

Here are a few points from my record that I am proud of:

- Endorsed by Independent Business Owners and the NFIB
- Rated 100% in 2014 by the Salt Lake Tribune on responsiveness to Clean Air Legislation
- Passed Legislation Reducing Unemployment Taxes by $24 Million
- Introduced the Latinos In Action mentorship program to Ogden School District which boasts a 90%+ college placement for hispanic youth
- Appointed by Governor Herbert to the Multi-Cultural Commission in 2011
- Proposed Legislation to Reform Utah’s Court Systems to increase accountability
- Passed Legislation that reduced repeat crime by fixing poor record keeping of incarcerated offenders
- Passed Law bringing common sense to building codes related to owners of older homes
- Sponsored and passed legislation protecting Weber County’s Railroad Museums

Of course, there is much more and you can find that here on the blog.

If you have any concerns or issues, I am here to assist you.  I look forward to your support as you go to the ballot box.  Thank you for your past support.  I hope to continue to serve the people of District 9.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Your comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Criticism, insights, questions and queries are always welcome. However, please be civil and composed in your presentation. I moderate comments, so be patient while waiting for your comment to appear. Debate is welcome, trolling is not.